Medtronic is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The Senior Component Engineer will be responsible for partnering with Design Engineering and Sourcing to identify, develop, qualify and release to manufacturing cost effective components/materials for use in Medtronic CRDM products. In this area of new product development, the Senior Component Engineer will be required to drive multiple aspects of component/material development and approval with suppliers as a member of a cross-functional team.
• Partner with design to locate, evaluate, and approve new potential component/material suppliers for active projects.
• Perform process and component/material development work with suppliers to deliver on-time components/materials that meet downstream manufacturing, application, and reliability requirements.
• Partner with suppliers to ensure components/materials and sub-assemblies are qualified to the appropriate requirements prior to commercialization.
• Develop and execute characterization/qualification protocols and reports in partnership with selected suppliers. Support projects, supply risk reduction, yield improvement and cost reduction activities during development.
• Work with suppliers in the development of control plans for high criticality components/materials to ensure appropriate acceptance activities are in place prior to commercialization.
• Work to develop proper inspection tooling and methods for new components to ensure supplier parts meet specification requirements. Perform statistical data analysis to determine tool and part/process performance. Evaluate Supplier capabilities for mechanical measurement via Gage R&R studies.
• Bachelor of Science
• 5+ experience with BA and 3 + yrs. with component/materials development, reliability, manufacturing or processing/component fabrication.
• Supplier experience
• Computer skills
•MS Office and MS Project
•SPC, Gage R&R, Basic Statistics
•Masters of Science in Engineering or Materials
•Experienced with inspection equipment and design of inspection fixtures.
• Material testing processes and equipment experience
• FMEA experience
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
• Masters in Materials Science
• Six Sigma green belt or black belt certified
• Design for Reliability and Manufacturability knowledge
• Excellent communication skills; both written and oral, internal and external to the company.
• Expert level statistics and DOE knowledge
• Demonstrated success in process improvement and control
• Must be capable of coordinating cross functionally with groups such as Design Engineering, Sourcing, Commodity management, and Quality to resolve issues pertaining to component/material selection and use.
• Understanding of material properties and how they can be impacted by Supplier processes.
• Knowledge of measurement systems and Supplier processes (EDM, CNC, Laser, Chemical, Plasma, Stamping, Milling, Polymer Processing, Molding, Extrusion, etc...)
• Experience with ANSI Y14.5M requirements (GDT)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, talk, hear and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or components. Specific vision abilities required by this job include normal vision.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
• Ability to travel up to 10- 25%; domestic and internationally
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.